Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Flags, rags and small bags


moontribe FMG Sept 2004 Posted by Hello

I have downsized my luggage for this trip three times. My plan is to take a 35L backpack for my travels around India. I kept going smaller and smaller because I know how much crap I am tempted to take with me and how little I will enjoy carrying it. The only trouble now is the hard choices I have to make so everything will fit. I have all the clothing worked out, toiletries and such. What remains is the "fun" stuff that will keep me entertained. I definitely want some books and so far I have whittled it down to: The Rough Guide to India, Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by BKS Iyengar and a translation of the Tao Te Ching. I am not sure if I can fit all that in my pack, but I will try - worst case I am dumping the Tao Te Ching - my apologies to Lao-tzu. I will bring my discman and 20 cds full of MP3s - so about 50 albums worth of music. I can strap my yoga mat to the outside of my pack so that doesn't take up any room and it gives me something to sleep on if things get rough. Finally I will bring along a couple sets of flags - they pack really small and India seems like a country where whirling neon fabric around in the air to music would fit right in. One day soon I am going to have to try packing everything and face the reality that I have way too much stuff to fit, and I will have to make some more hard choices. After all what is more important underwear or CDs???...=-)

I am not sure what to do about the things I will want to buy along the way. There won't be any room in my pack, but I am hoping I can mail stuff back to my Dad in Kolkata. I will bring a couple duffel bags with me, to leave in Kolkata, so I can haul all my loot home. If you have any special gift requests let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home