Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Mo' Kolkata

It is funny how quickly you get used to things. The scooter ride into Kolkata this morning seemed much less dramatic than yesterday - even though traffic was worse. I am going to get my train ticket today and check out a Hindi film. If all goes well I should be on a train to Mumbai by 7:30PM tomorrow.

Some Kolkata moments:

- water in the apt does not run continuously. It seems to be on during the morning, but not in the afternoon. It is on about 50% of the time in late evening. So Sundar's family collects water when it is on in plastic buckets for cooking and washing. We generally take a "bucket shower" around 8-9am. I started using a whole bucket (25L), but now I am down to half a bucket as my technique improves. Although it is not as refreshing as a hot shower back home - you feel clean and satisfied afterwards.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only had a few bucket showers, but you can almost think of them as short bursts of bathing under a waterfall. ;)

You are taunting the high powered Indian bacteria Vik. More power to you. Your realization of accepting your karma and not trying to understand it sounds like it will "spill over" into your tummy (and other intestinal tract) joys as well. I want graphic details, and pictures! (Warning, graphic: Only when you can smell your breakfast coming out of you 15 mins after eating it do you experience the truth.)

Are your senses overloaded yet? Sounds like you're getting the crazy and the calm, and both are surreal. Keep up the posts... it's making me miss India already, and I thought that would take at least 5 years!

Jeff

January 12, 2005 at 1:19 AM  
Blogger Vik said...

Hey Jeff,

So far my tummy has been totally cool - no issues so far. I will keep you posted - maybe I will take a movie for you if things get exciting in that regard!

=-)~

Vik

January 14, 2005 at 10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home