Monday, January 31, 2005

Palolem - life's a beach

Getting from Anjuna to Palolem took me about 3 hrs on Friday morning. I had to take 4 buses and 1 taxi to get here, but I never had to wait more than 60 secs for a bus - in fact one bus I had to run after and some guys helped pull me aboard! The whole thing cost less than 100 Rs which goes to show how afford able travel is in India.

Palolem is beautiful - probably the nicest beach I have ever been to. I have seen nicer ones (South Pacific & Caribbean) in magazines, but never seen one better in person. It consists of a wide sandy beach about 1.5kms long in a long crescent shape with palm trees all along the back.

I am staying in a small hut on stilts about 50m from the beach - I get to go to sleep hearing the surf. There is a small restaurant/bar attached to the huts I am in. They play psy and also chill music like morcheeba. I spend my day hanging out on the beach - reading (I am averaging a book a day so far!) walking, beach combing. We have a beach volleyball court right in front of us and there is a sunset game each day from 4-7pm. Frisbee is super popular as well.

Unlike Anjuna this place is packed and has not seemed to be affected by the Tsunami scare. Also interestingly there is not much topless bathing going on here - in Anjuna it was the norm - here it is the exception. The men here are also not sporting the tiny jewel sack bathing suits that were common in Anjuna.

I have great news - I went for a 9km bare for run on the beach Saturday AM and I had no IT band pain or irritation. This has been plaguing me all of the late summer and fall 2004. It is so nice to be able to run and not feel any pain.

It is very hot here each day - getting to 30+ deg C every day. It was raining and cool this morning for the first time, but by 1pm it was 30 deg C and sunny.

I am pretty much living out of my surf shorts and a sarong. There is not much use for any other clothes. In fact I had my first shower since I got here Sunday - only because I figured I should have one. Being in and out of the ocean all the time you don't get very dirty or stinky and since you'll be back in again right away there doesn't seem to be much point in getting squeaky clean. One bummer common to all beach life is that I have sand every where! You just cannot get rid of it. I guess it is a reasonable trade off for all the awesome beach fun I am having.

The sunsets here are fantastic! I have taken way too many sunset pics because they are different virtually each day.

I will probably leave on Friday and head to Hampi, but I could easily spend a month here without thinking about it.

Oh ya I bought some Indian toilet paper and to be honest it isn't that bad at all. People have been tell me some tall tales about how bad it is....lol...I guess next time I don't need to bring 32 rolls with me!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, nice life Vik! Chilling on beaches, living in your shorts & sarong.

I'm so happy to hear you can run again without pain.

I can't wait to see your pictures!

:-)
Karen

January 31, 2005 at 11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Vik-

It has good to hear about your travels, and that your IT band issues are clearing up. I suppose I should go into training for running in the sand. Would running bare footed in the snow suffice, or do I need to build myself a really big sandbox?

marcie

January 31, 2005 at 6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home